Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July, July

To my lovely readers,

Today marks the beginning of July, and in a few more days, I will have already passed the halfway point of my journey. The entire month of June has been spent here in Sao Paulo State, making friends and learning about telemedicine. I have produced a presentation with a paper on the way, and soon enough we will be heading off to the Amazon for the main project.

In this time, my Portuguese has advanced quite rapidly. I began unable to mutter much else besides "I don't speak Portuguese" and "Do you speak English?" Now, I can understand most of the things that are said to me, as long as the speaker talks slow enough. I am confident in my day to day conversational skills, while I encounter a little more difficulty when trying to express complicated ideas or use very specific or technical terms. I think that in another 6 weeks' time, my Portuguese will be even better. Hopefully I will be able to continue studying Portuguese, and perhaps I will be fluent enough when a telemedicine conference rolls around here in Brazil.

I do certainly long for home and for school from time to time. I miss my family, my friends, food, Duke's campus, and some of the luxuries of life in the USA. I do consider myself quite fortunate, however, to be equipped with internet both at work and at home, so I am never too far out of touch with the people I care about. I suppose this post represents my reflections on my time here so far. I've enjoyed these (almost) 6 weeks immensely, though I hope the next 6 weeks are even better. Plans include our trip to the Amazon, a weekend excursion to Rio de Janeiro, and hopefully some more time in Sao Paulo.

The end of summer draws ever nearer, and I hope it is treating you all well. To those of you that are heading off abroad soon, I wish you safe travels and all the best. Skype me some time.

All the best,
Rollin

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to take a class to keep up with your Portuguese? Nice summary and reflection of time and life. You are very lucky to be surrounded by new friends who so readily welcome you to their home and share their lives. Make every minute count.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete