Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday: Health Center, Packing...

Hey people, I'm currently packing my bag for our trip to Rondonia tomorrow. Rodrigo and I will be leaving Campinas after lunch to head to Sao Paolo, where we will catch the first of 3 flights on the journey to Porto Velho, the capital city of Rondonia.

Today, we had the privilege of visiting a health center in one of the poorer areas near Campinas. The center was quite remote - we drove on a couple miles of dirt road before we arrived there. The coordinator of the health center, Elizabeth, greeted us when we arrived, and agreed to answer the questions that we had. Naturally, Rodrigo did almost all of the talking, while I listened intently and attempted to translate the spoken Portuguese into English in my brain before writing down my notes in my journal. I'm quite proud, as I caught almost all of what was said. Rodrigo and I then took pictures to document our trip and further illustrate the challenges that the health center faces when we write the report. We didn't have time today to visit the other health center in Barao Geraldo, but I'm sure we'll get around to it after our trip to Rondonia.

Now, I'm packing my bag for the trip, and I've got all of my things laid out on my bed. I still have to buy a lighter, but Tiago helped me this weekend to find a nylon hammock, a mosquito net especially designed for use with hammocks, duct tape, and a flashlight. I already brought a few supplies from home, including sunscreen, 98% DEET insect repellent, and my backpack and hiking boots. See spread picture below, all packed picture unavailable, as the camera is already inside the bag, enclosed in a gallon-size ziploc to prevent water damage in the Amazon.


And, that's about it! I'll be sure to post along the way if I can, but otherwise, expect a lengthy post or series of posts upon my return this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. good luck and stay safe! i hope your trip goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about your advanture there... glad you finally made it. I am sure it's worth the wait!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete