Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Power Outage

The sky had been dark all day and it began to rain when I headed home from Edumed around 6. The real storm, however, didn't arrive until after dinner. The sky lit up as lightning flashed and torrents of rain poured onto the roof slats of the house. Then, all of a sudden, as I was in the middle of watching a recently acquired copy of Eagle Eye, the lights shut off and, then blinked on, then turned off for good. All the power in the house had turned off.


Since this is a holiday weekend, very few people were around at all. Only Kevin and Walter, who will be leaving tomorrow, remained. We gathered in the kitchen, and Walter brought a couple candles that he happened to have in his room. Kevin cooked himself dinner on the gas stove lit by a match, and Walter and I settled down to a game of chess. Much to my surprise, I played a decent game, although I lost in the end. It had been years since I had played chess at all. After the game I returned to my movie, and as the film was reaching its dramatic finale, the lights turned back on as power was restored.

Tomorrow, I plan on exploring Barao Geraldo, the university neighborhood where I live, and running some errands like grocery shopping and going to the bank. I'll be sure to check back in with a report of my adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment